Tegretol level (Carbamazepine)
Sample for Tegretol level
- The serum of the patient is needed.
Indications for Tegretol level
- It is advised in Epileptic patients on Tegretol therapy.
- This may also be used in trigeminal neuralgia.
- Also, this has a beneficial effect on glossopharyngeal neuralgia.
Purpose of the test (Indications) for Tegretol level
- The carbamazepine test is used to measure and monitor the amount of carbamazepine in the blood to determine the following:
- Whether the level of the drug is within the therapeutic range.
- So the drug dose may be adjusted up or down until the blood level reaches the therapeutic range.
- A routine carbamazepine test measures total carbamazepine, both protein-bound and free drug portions.
Pharmacology of Tegretol
- Carbamazepine is similar to a tricyclic antidepressant.
- Dose = 400 to 1600 mg /day in two doses.
- This is used to control grand mal and psychomotor seizures.
- This can help to relieve the pain of trigeminal neuralgia.
- Its mechanism of action is to reduce synaptic transmission in the spinal cord.
- This can be used in other seizures where there is pain.
- Side effects are related to the dose of the drug, and these are neurological.
- There may be visual and vestibular changes.
- There may be ataxia, nausea, and vomiting.
- The patient may have a rash and agranulocytosis.
- In chronic cases may have hepatic failure.
- Metabolism Of the drug is in the liver, and its half-life is 5 to 25 hours.
Side effects of Tegretol
- There may be nausea and vomiting.
- The patient may get dizziness and drowsiness.
- There are dry mouths and swollen tongues.
- Patients may develop a loss of balance.
- Stopping drugs may lead to seizures.
- Contraindicated in the following conditions:
- In the case of heart disease.
- In patients with liver or kidney disease.
- Patients with the presence of glaucoma.
- Take care of thyroid diseases.
- In the case of an autoimmune disease like Lupus.
- Tegretol is an anticonvulsant drug.
- Therapeutic range = 4 to 8 µg/mL.
Toxic Level = > 20 µg /mL.
Questions and answers:
Question 1: What is the toxic level of Tegretol?
Toxic level of Tegretol is >20 µg/mL.
Question 2: What is another name of Tegretol?
Tegretol is actually Carbamazepine.