Security check trays are most infectious
It is found that the security check trays are the most infectious.
- This was published in the journal BMC infectious diseases, that the parts which come frequently in contact with the passengers harbor the respiratory viruses including influenza virus.
- The most common place is the plastic trays used at the airport at the security checkpoint. Plastic trays for security check are commonly contaminated. These are recycled and are being touched by all the passengers that number may be several hundred per day. These plastic trays are nonporous and help the viruses and the bacteria to survive longer on their surface.
- Air travel has made easier for the infectious diseases to spread between countries and the continents. The most serious global viruses like the 2003 SARS epidemic and other is an H1Ni flu pandemic.
- There are small outbreaks like a cluster of 33 cases of Meases affected people in the UK and Netherland in 2014.
- 90 cases of surface sample collected and four air sample from various sites within Helsinki- Vantaa airport during e weeks period at height of Finland flu in the 2015-2016 season. These samples were tested for various respiratory viruses.
- 9/90 910%) cases were and 1/4 sample were positive for viruses. The most common virus was rhinovirus which causes the common cold. Also was found influenza virus A and as well as coronavirus and adenovirus. These are associated with mild to severe respiratory diseases.
- Interesting that nothing was positive in the bathrooms.
- Enteroviruses were not tested which can spread through the feco-oral route.
- Such studies to find the microbes at the airport were not done previously. Thes new studies and findings support for planning and controlling the spread of the serious diseases in the airport. This also provides new ideas for technical improvements in airport design and refurbishment.
- This was also recommended that increase the frequency of the cleaning of infectious sources like plastic trays. They also discourage the squeezing of the passengers at the service counter.
- There were suggestions to decrease the infections by improved public awareness of the hygiene. People can minimize infections by the hygienic hand washing and coughing into the handkerchief, tissues or sleeve at all times and especially at public places.
- These measures will decrease and prevent a pandemic and are most important at the public places like an airport that have a high volume of people traveling to and from many different parts of the world.
- You can bring your own disinfectant wipes.
- Center for the disease control and prevention’s traveler’s website gives the information for reducing the risk of infection like cold or flue.
Source = Susan Perry, 09/06/2018