Diabetes Mellitus:- Part 9 – Glucose Random (Diabetes mellitus)
What Sample is Needed for Glucose Random?
- This is a random blood sample done on the serum or oxalate blood.
Random glucose level depends upon:
- When and how much did you eat at your last meal?
- This is the rough estimate of glucose level.
What is the importance of random glucose levels?
- Random blood glucose is without any relation to time or food.
- This is done out of your normal routine testing.
- This is always a nonfasting sample.
How will you Interpret the random glucose levels?
- If it is above 200 mg/dL and the patient has increased thirst, polyuria, and polyphagia, the random blood glucose suggests diabetes mellitus.
- As a rule, two-hour glucose samples will reach the fasting level or be in the normal range.
What will be the random blood glucose levels?
- Before the meal = 80 to 120 mg/dl (4.4 to 6.6 mmol/L).
- After the meal and if the person is awake = 100 to 140 mg/dl ( 5.5 to 7.7 mmol/L ).
- At bedtime = 100 to 140 mg/dl ( 5.5 to 7.7 mmol/L).
Normal Random glucose level = 80 to 140 mg/dL (4.4 to 7.8 mmol/L).
What is the reliability of random blood glucose?
- If it is above 200 mg/dL, it indicates diabetes.
What is the Interpretation of the fasting and random glucose levels?
|Fasting glucose level||Normal range and need advise|
|80 to 120 mg/dL||Normal range and no need for any action|
|120 to 160 mg/dL||Slightly high and needs medical advice|
|160 to 240 mg/dL||It is high and needs medical advice and treatment|
|240 to 300 mg/dL||Too high and needs medical advice and treatment|
|Random glucose level|
|80 to 14 mg/dL||Normal and no need for any action|
|140 to 200 mg/dL||It is high and needs medical advice|
The glucose level in prediabetic and diabetes mellitus:
|Diagnosis||Fasting glucose level||Random glucose level||2-hour glucose level (in OGTT)||HbA1c|
|Prediabetics||100 to 125 mg/dL||140 to 199 mg/dL||40 to 199 mg/dL||5.7 to 6.4%|
|Diabetes mellitus||> 126 mg/dL||>200 mg/dL||>200 mg/dL||>6.5%|
- Please see the details in the Fasting glucose level.