Ginger and its Benefits
- Ginger is one of the spices used in cooking in Asian countries.
- Ginger fights germs, inflammation, and cancer-causing molecules.
- It is believed that ginger leads to:
- Sooth stomach upset.
- It prevents the clotting of the blood.
- It is postulated that ginger helps to relieve migraine.
- It helps to avoid motion sickness.
History of the Ginger
- Roman doctors were keeping ginger handy during military marches.
- Greek philosophers favor that ginger is beneficial for the digestive system.
- King Henry VIII of England was convinced it would help the plague.
- It was postulated that ginger prevents motion sickness and other digestive problems.
- It is believed that it helps in arthritis, migraines, high cholesterol, and blood clots.
Benefits of Ginger
- The best remedy for the motion sickness:
- Ginger is considered to prevent motion sickness. This is considered to be the best remedy for motion sickness.
- There is a study where ginger was given to a group of people, and they were subjected to a ride and could tolerate it.
- Ginger was given in seasickness to naval cadets, who were relieved for 4 hours from nausea and vomiting.
- One of the ingredients of ginger (gingerols) may be responsible for blocking the vomiting reflex.
- How to take ginger for motion sickness:
- 1/4 teaspoon of fresh or powdered ginger20 minutes before getting into a car or boat.
- For stomach upset, take 4 thin slices of ginger in hot water and drink it slowly.
- Benefits of nausea:
- It can be given during pregnancy to prevent nausea.
- Its use to prevent nausea due to chemotherapy is not clear.
- Treatment for arthritis:
- It helps in rheumatoid arthritis or osteoarthritis by relieving the pain.
- Take ginger tea by adding 3 to 4 thin slices of ginger in hot water. Please take it as tea.
- Taking this once-a-day ginger tea may relieve your symptoms.
- Benefits of the migraine:
- It is believed that ginger will relieve your pain and nausea due to migraine.
- It looks like ginger blocks the action of prostaglandins, which is the causative agent of pain and inflammation in the blood vessels in the brain.
- How to use ginger in migraine:
- Take 1/3 spoon of the fresh ginger or powdered ginger.
- Benefits in preventing blood clots:
- It is postulated that ginger has chemicals like aspirin. Gingerol is considered like aspirin.
- Baby aspirin is advised to prevent the clot to avoid stroke or heart attacks.
When to avoid ginger:
- Ginger should not be taken along with:
- Warfarin (Coumadin).
- Clopidogrel (Plavix).
How to select, store and use the ginger:
- Try to use fresh ginger.
- Fresh, unpeeled ginger lasts up to 2 weeks. You have to keep it in an airtight plastic bag.
- In the freezer, it can last for 2 months.
- Ginger is covered by thin light brown skin; peel it off before use.
- For use, cut very thin slices or mash them as fine as possible.
- Avoid buying ginger with soft spots, molds, or dry, wrinkled skin.
- Too much use of ginger may cause abdominal discomfort.
- Ginger grown in Africa or Pakistan/India are of better quality.