Parasitology, Common Parasites (parasites pictures)
March 20, 2023Lab TestsParasitology
A short review of common Parasites.
- The ova is oval and asymmetric, with one side flattened.
- Size is 55 × 26 micrometers.
- The fertile ovum is 60 x 45 micrometers. It has a thick shell and is surrounded by an albuminous covering.
- The infertile ovum is 90 x 40 micrometers. This is surrounded by an irregular albuminous covering.
- Ovum measures 60 to 65 x 40 micrometers. It is oval and has a thin shell.
- Usually, the embryo is at the four-cell stage.
- The ovum size is 52 x 23 micrometers.
- It is barrel-shaped with distinctive ends.
- Trophozoite form measures 12 to 15 micrometer. It is pyriform and has two nuclei.
- Trophozoite unstained shows progressive motility like a falling tree leaf.
- Trophozoite stained shows nuclei in the area of the sucking disc.
- There are two median bodies posterior to the disc.
- Cysts unstained are ovoid in shape,
- Stained cysts show 4 nuclei and four median bodies.
- Entamoeba Histolytica causes chronic dysentery.
- Iodamoeba butschlii has variable shapes.
- It is easily recognized in the iodine preparation.
- It is motile due to the presence of anterior flagella.
- The movement is rapid and jerky.