Diabetes Mellitus Control
This can be controlled by diet, exercise, and drugs which depend upon the fasting glucose level.
In this blog, various aspects of the blood glucose level and the control of diabetes are discussed.
Diabetes mellitus can be controlled based on fasting blood glucose levels:
|Fasting blood glucose level||Type of Diabetes Mellitus||Recommendations to control the glucose level|
|110 to 125 mg/dL||Prediabetic||
|126 to 140 mg/dL||Diabetes mellitus||
|150 to 200 mg/dL||Diabetes mellitus||
|>200 ng/dL||Diabetes mellitus||
American Diabetes Association recommendations are:
- Fasting blood glucose = 80 to 120 mg/dL (before eating).
- After eating the food = <180 mg/dL.
- At bed time = 100 to 140 mg/dL.
Needs consultation if your blood glucose levels are:
- Before meal = >140 mg/dL.
- Bed time = >160 mg/dL
Recommendation for the testing of the blood glucose level:
- In case of diabetes mellitus type 1 = 4 times /day (before the meal and at bedtime).
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 without insulin and drugs = 2 times/day, fasting and before dinner.
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 with insulin = 4 times/day (before meal and bedtime).
- Diabetes mellitus type 2 taking medications = 3 times/day (Fasting, before dinner, and at bedtime).
|Type of diabetes mellitus||Treatment level||Glucose to be checked||Fasting level||Before dinner||At bedtime|
|Diabetes mellitus type 1||On Insulin||4 times/day||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Diabetes mellitus type 2||No drugs||2 times/day||Yes||Yes||No|
|Diabetes mellitus type 2||On insulin||4 times/day||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Diabetes mellitus type 2||On drugs||3 times/day||Yes||Yes||Yes|
Precautions for taking the blood sample:
- This is better to wash your hands before testing the blood glucose.
- Also, dry the finger thoroughly to avoid contamination by the water vapors.
- I will recommend the lancet, especially the “one-touch Delica plus.” This technology uses fine needles, and the procedure is mostly painless.
- You can use different sites like the ear-lobe, forearm, and fingertip.
- Fingertip is easier and most practical to get one drop of blood.
- Avoid the touching of the strip to your finger, which may be contaminated by the skin oil.
- Follow the meter instruction before testing the blood glucose level.
- Formula to convert mg/dL into mmol/L: mg/dL /18 (your value in mg/dL is divided by 18).
- Fasting level : 80 to 120 mg/dL = 4.4 to 6.6 mmol/L
- After food = <180 mg/dL = <10 mmol/L.
- At bedtime = 100 to 140 mg/dL = 5.5 to 7.7 mmol/L