Hepatitis C Virus:- Part 2 – Anti- HCV Screening
- This test is done on the serum of the patient.
- How to get good serum: Take 3 to 5 ml of blood in the disposable syringe or in vacutainer. Keep the syringe for 15 to 30 minutes at 37 C and then centrifuge for 2 to 4 minutes to get the clear serum.
Significance of anti-HCV screening:
- When positive indicates Viral Hepatitis C infection.
- This is not as sensitive as ELISA. This is basically a screening procedure.
- This Viral disease is just like an epidemic and spreading with a much higher rate than HIV infection in most of the third world and particularly in Pakistan. This needs public education and awareness to stop the spread.
For more details please see Hepatitis C markers