Diabetes Mellitus:- Part 3 – Glucose after 2 hours of meal (postprandial)
- The test is done on the serum of patients or oxalate blood.
- When the test is done on Serum. The serum should be separated within 30 minutes of collection.
- The serum can be stored at 25° C for 8 hours and 72 hours at 4 °C.
- Oxalate blood can also be used. Preservative sodium fluoride may be added.
- The plasma can be stored at 25 °C for 24 hours (when there is preservative sodium fluoride).
- In the case of fluoride as a preservative, a decrease of 9 mg/dL is seen during the first 2 hours.
- The whole blood glucose level is 90% of the plasma glucose.
- Carbohydrate metabolism, and interaction between carbohydrates, fats, and proteins.
- Definition of 2 hours of glucose level:
- It will give you the glucose tolerance of the body after 2 hours of a meal.
- Meal acts as a glucose challenge for body metabolism.
- Insulin is secreted in response to increase glucose levels that are due to food intake.
- Blood glucose will be normal within 2 hours.
- In diabetic patients, glucose level will remain elevated.
- Postprandial glucose level is a screening test for DM.
- If glucose level is >140 mg/dL and <200 mg/dL, then GTT (glucose tolerance test) is advised.
- If level after 2 hours = >200 mg/dL diabetes mellitus is confirmed.
- Advise HbA1c for further evaluation.
Normal 2 hours (postprandial) glucose level:
- <120 mg/dL
- To convert into SI unit x 0.0555 = mmol/L
- 0 to 50 years = < 140 mg/dl (<7.7 mmol/L)
- and some believes <120 mg/dl ( < 6.66 mmol/L).
- For people age 50 and younger = < 140 mg/dL (7.8 mmol/L).
- For people ages 50 – 60 = <150 mg/dL (8.3 mmol/L).
- For people aged 60 and older = <160 mg/dL (8.9 mmol/L)
The latest criteria for Diabetes Mellitus:
- The level of 200 mg/dl or
- Above 200 mg/dl after 75 gram of glucose overload or
- Two casual reading of glucose 200 mg/dl or above is labeled as a Diabetic patient.
- This test is not recommended because of the many factors that influence the result.
|Diagnosis||Fasting glucose level||Random glucose level||2-hour glucose level (in OGTT)||HbA1c|
|Prediabetics||100 to 125 mg/dL||140 to 199 mg/dL||140 to 199 mg/dL||5.7 to 6.4%|
|Diabetes mellitus||> 126 mg/dL||>200 mg/dL||>200 mg/dL||>6.5%|
- Please for more details on Glucose see in Glucose fasting level